Chelmsford School Committee Goals 2015-2016
1) By June, 2016, the Chelmsford School Committee will act to maintain a current Policy Handbook by reviewing and reaffirming at least seventy (70) policies as measured by agenda items, meeting minutes, and the online policies. The Chelmsford School Committee will distribute to each member a complete and current set of policies.
2) By June, 2016, the Chelmsford School Committee will demonstrate effective communication to the Community, Students, Parents, and School District Staff by holding a number of public forums, including one (1) which will be geared toward representative groups such as seniors in the community and another which will focus on outreach to the Chelmsford business community; by uploading all School Committee documents, minutes, and announcements to the website on at least a quarterly basis; and each member will attend at least three (3) other public events, including the district opening day, graduation, open houses, school visits, and community events as measured by agenda items, liaison reports, and meeting minutes.
3) By June, 2016, the Chelmsford School Committee will provide direction and guidance to the Superintendent on implementation of the Entry Plan by hearing at least one report per month on the status of the plan, as measured by agendas, meeting minutes, and annual action plans.
4) By June, 2016, the Chelmsford School Committee will demonstrate fiscal responsibility and will be effective advocates for the School District by holding at least one (1) meeting to review the FY2017 operating budget including public input on the proposed budget and by providing guidance to the Director of Finance and Business on the format and content of the annual budget report to the Spring Town Meeting; and by holding at least one (1) meeting or workshop discussing the capital plan budget and publicly voting that budget, as measured by agendas, meeting minutes, and the annual budget report to Town Meeting.
Other Points of Emphasis
1) The Chelmsford School Committee will emphasize Educational Quality by supporting the Superintendent and his staff in their pursuit of continued professional development and instructional improvement and supporting Chelmsford High School's implementation of recommendations by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC).
2) The Chelmsford School Committee will continue Self-Evaluation by utilizing online surveys to gather public feedback on specific issues and by evaluating the Chelmsford School Committee's achievement of these goals in July 2016.
3) The Chelmsford School Committee will strive for successful Collective Bargaining by negotiating in good faith with the ultimate objective of signed contracts with all bargaining units.
4) The Chelmsford School Committee will continue effective oversight of Maintenance and Operations of the entire district by monitoring the efficiency, effectiveness, and satisfaction of all stakeholders, of the food, custodial, and maintenance services through regular updates to the School Committee provided through the Superintendent and Town Manager working group meetings.
5) The Chelmsford School Committee will support the Superintendent and Director of Finance and Business in developing, analyzing, and presenting a clear and effective operating budget that accurately and transparently describes the offerings and programs of the Chelmsford Public Schools with the intention of applying for a Meritorious Budget Award and/or Pathway through the Association of School Business Officials International (ASBO) in the future.